keyboard_arrow_left back

Landlords Gas Safety Certificate

Landlords Gas Safety Certificate

Landlords Gas Safety Certificate

If you are a landlord, you would no doubt be concerned about the various guidelines and safety measures or standards which you would have to uphold. One of those standards would no doubt be the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate. This might seem to be a bit confusing. Not to worry, we are going to break it down for you one piece at a time.

Our first stop would allow us to have a proper understanding of the term we are discussing.

What is the Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate?

In almost every part of the country, it is often advised and even ordered by law that gas appliances which are owed by any landlord across the country ought to be maintained and serviced on a regular basis. This is done to make sure that they are safe to use and efficient at every point in time. This is also in line with what is stated in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations which was enacted in 1998.

The reports which are meant to regulate every single check that has been done during the safety inspection of the gas appliances in your possession as a landlord is what is known as the Landlords' Gas Safety Certificate. With the issuing of this certificate, it proves that you have successfully carried out all the checks which was needed and that all your gas appliances and those of your tenants under you are clean and have been inspected by a Gas safe engineer who has been duly registered and licensed. The duration of this report is usually a year.

For most people, the certificate is popularly known as the CP12 report or certificate. The reason for this name is because of its history. The certificate was first used by CORGI. CORGI was once the regulatory body who was in charge of checking the safety of gas in the United Kingdom. During this period, the report was called the Performa 12 and was normally used by the body.

However, things have changed since then, and CORGI is no longer operating as the regulatory body. The body who is in charge now is the Gas Safe Register. Thus, they are the ones who are responsible for checking gas appliances and issuing the Certificate of Landlords’ Gas Safety. It is important to note that while it is now known for a different name, it is still mostly known as CP12.

What does the certificate entail?

Now that we know the definition and origin of the certificate, the next thing would be to understand what it truly means and the implications of not having the certificate.

In the UK and in some other areas, it remains a requirement by law to have every appliance in your home and properties that use gas checked on a regular basis. This would often include pipework and flues too. The law also requests that it should be regularly checked after every 12 months. This is to make sure that it remains at a very high level in terms of quality. This is done to make sure that tenants who live in residential homes are safe at every point in time.

Once you have gotten a Gas safe engineer and the checks have all been completed, you would then qualify for a certificate or CP12 as it is commonly called. The next step would be to make sure that you make one copy separate and available your tenants. This must be done within 28 days or four weeks. If you happen to have new tenants within that year, they would also have the right to have a copy of the certificate.

All certificates which are deemed to be irrelevant should not be hastily thrown away. You would need to show evidence that you have completed all checks for the last two years and the certificates are the only way to prove that.

Another important thing that landlords would have to keep in mind is that you cannot just get any ordinary gas engineer to take care of the checks or inspection for you. The engineer who carried out the checks must have been duly registered with the regulatory body which in this case is the Gas Safe Register. It is only when this has been done the right way that any inspection which has been done would count. No matter how many times the inspection is carried out, you would not be awarded the certificate.

While you are in charge of inspecting your gas appliances, you can also make life easier for yourself by reminding your tenants on the need for them to always switch off the gas supply from the mains. You could also discuss in full details with them as to the next line of action they should take if they are faced with an emergency. If you use a gas transporter, you should make sure that your tenants are always aware of the identity of the person. This would avoid any confusion for you and your tenants in the future.

As landlords, you might often be confronted with a situation whereby the tenants you have would bring additional gas appliances into your home. It is important to note that the law does not compel you to carry out checks on this gas appliance that has been brought in. however, many landlords have found it beneficial to also include them in their final budget.

Talking about budget, what would be the cost to get a Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate?

Cost of getting the certificate

The cost of actually getting your certificate would often vary depending on the engineer which you have chosen. Another reason for the variance in the prices would be because there is no uniform price that has been fixed by the regulatory body. Before sticking to any engineer, it would often be good to shop around to see if you can compare the prices of the Gas engineers. This would allow you to pick the best deals out of all the offers around.

While this is true, you would generally see most of the offers around from about £35 upwards to about £160. It is not all about price though! Make sure that the work is done properly by choosing the right company or person.

Things you should expect from the certificate

If you are a landlord and you are thinking of getting the certificate probably for the first time, you would no doubt want to have an idea of the various checks which would be carried out by the Gas engineer. Here are some the most pressing issues during the inspection;

  • The gas safe engineer would inspect your gas appliances to check how tightly closed they are
  • Your standing pressure and your working gas pressure would also be checked. This would probably happen if the test points are working and are available
  • The engineer would check to make sure that the standards which have been set as regards ventilation in the home are followed.
  • The flue flow would also be checked. This is to make sure that the elimination of all products that are combustible is properly done
  • All safety devices which are used would also be checked. This is to make sure standards are kept at a very high level.
  • You can also expect the engineer to check for any gas appliances which is currently being misused.

Is a carbon monoxide detector necessary?

One of the questions which most landlords battle with is if whether the provision of a carbon monoxide detector actually necessary, especially during the inspection. The answer to that question is yes. It is very necessary for a landlord to provide a detector that detects carbon monoxide. This should be present in almost all rooms especially in rooms where the tenants are expected to live and inhabit. For example, rooms that have a fireplace burning from the presence of wood or gas would be a befitting example.

It is important then that these detectors are placed in all the rooms in the home.

Want to get started?

Now that you have a proper understanding of how everything works, you would probably want to get your inspection done and dusted. The Boiler Company is one company which you can trust with your Gas inspection. Registered with Gas safe register, we are always ready to bring you the best inspections, and a get you your certificate in less than no time. We all this with affordable prices which would leave you feeling happy and satisfied.

As a landlord, you would no doubt be concerned about the safety of your tenants and everyone that comes or lives in your home. One of your top concerns would no doubt keeping your tenants clean from any form of gas outbreaks. Having your CP12 would be the best route to getting this accomplished. With The Boiler Company by your side, you should be able to get this done as quickly as possible.

Our customer reviews